Friday, January 2, 2015

2014 End of Year Book Survey Part 1

[Sorry, for some reason the graphics are all wonky in coloring]
 Another year has ended, which means it's time for the 2014 end of year book survey, which is hosted by Jamie at the Perpetual Page-Turner. Today will be Part One and on Sunday, check back in for Part Two. I also added a few questions of my own in the reading stats because my reading log is extensive and I thought it a shame to not use it. Organization is wonderful.


Number Of books you read: I read 53 books this year, which is really sad. I didn't even complete half of my goal, but I should've realized how many changes I'd be going through and how busy I'd be.

Number of re-reads: The number above does not reflect rereads because I didn't keep track of those. However, I estimate the number of rereads to be 3.

Genre You Read The Most From: Contemporary wins out at a total of 32 books. Fantasy came in second place at 16, sci-fi at 2, then mythology, historical, and dystopian tying at 1.

Format You Read the Most Out of: I read 20 e-galleys, 17 hardcovers, 11 physical ARCs, and 4 paperbacks.

Source You Mostly Used: 26 from the publisher, 14 from the library, 5 from Shae, and the others from various sources.

Publisher You Read the Most From: 16 from HarperCollins, 7 from Scholastic (all Harry Potter), 6 from Bloomsbury, 6 from Macmillan, 5 from Simon & Schuster, 4 from Disney Hyperion, and 2 from St. Martin's Press. Harlequin, Hachette, HMH, Random House, and Penguin all tied at 1.

I was going to list how many ratings I gave books, but it got confusing. I actually had 9 5-star reads though, which I think is a win. And mostly all my reads were published in 2014.


1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
And of course, I couldn't possibly pick only one so I'm breaking it down by...contemporary and fantasy. That's embarrassing. I realized these two dominated the game so here's the best contemporary and best fantasy!

Contemporary: Rites of Passage by Joy N. Hensley

Fantasy: The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski with a second place tie between Crown of Embers by Rae Carson and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (and the Deathly Hallows)by J.K. Rowling

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. I DNF'd it and skimmed the ending.

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
Don't Touch by Rachel M. Wilson

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
Technically, I pushed my beloved favorites from previous years more. But from the books I read this year, I probably pushed The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski the most and Don't Touch by Rachel M. Wilson recently.

5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
Best series: Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling, hands down.
Best sequel: Killer Instinct by Jennifer Lynn Barnes...again, hands down.
Best series ender: I actually didn't finish many series (and I read a lot of standalones), but The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson deserves this title.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
SO MANY. How can I choose? Emery Lord, Rosamund Hodge, and J.K. Rowling will now forever by in my heart.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
This doesn't really apply to me, but I guess I'd have to say Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge, which was in a mythology-type of genre.

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
HARRY POTTER HARRY POTTER HARRY POTTER. Specifically Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I had already started and finished a HP book that day and then decided to start and finish that one in the same day as well.

9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Better Off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg and The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski, no doubt.

11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Hermoine Granger because she kicks butt in brains and power.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
I’m not sure. I wish I had put these kind of details in my spreadsheet! Don’t Touch or Cruel Beauty, I guess.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
Since You’ve Been Gone by Morgan Matson or Don’t Touch by Rachel M. Wilson

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
Wait for it...Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling. Were you expecting anything else?

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
There were many that stood out to me (especially in Harry Potter), but I tweeted out this one:

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?” - Dumbledore from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2014?
Shortest: 256 pages - Summer of Yesterday by Gaby Triana and Summer State of Mind by Jen Calonita

Longest: 870 pages - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Excluding the plethora of surprises througout Harry Potter (although that in of itself is surprising since I knew so many deaths beforehand), KILLER INSTINCT BY JENNIFER LYNN BARNES! She always manages to surprise me.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Even after all this time, I instantly thought of Elisa and Hector from the Fire and Thorns series by Rae Carson.

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
The great Harry Potter trio (he sought them out afterwards, which I thought incredibly important) and all the Cress friendships.

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
I don’t think it’s fair if I count series in here so it’d have to be Since You’ve Been Gone by Morgan Matson

21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Open Road Summer by Emery Lord. I never read the back cover until many, many people recommended it.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
I did feel rather flushed when reading about Aelyx from Alienated.

23. Best 2014 debut you read?
I already said I loved Rites of Passage, so not counting that, Alienated by Melissa Landers was so much better than I hoped.

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Landline by Rainbow Rowell, The DUFF by Kody Keplinger,

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. ROLLER COASTER OF EMOTION.

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Alienated by Melissa Landers! And I still think Bright Before Sunrise by Tiffany Schmidt needed more recognition

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
If it made me tear up, of course Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows crushed my soul.

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
If by unique you mean diverse, Don’t Touch by Rachel M. Wilson and Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern.

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy because I hated the main character, but oddly still liked the book.

Don't forget I'll be having Part Two of this survey on Sunday!

7 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you still got lots of fun reading in despite all the big life changes. Here's to another fantastic reading year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer!!! You have inspired me to revisit the Harry Potter series and finally finish it off! I'm only 3 books away! But I want to start at the beginning. :) I don't know whether to start my little venture in Jan. or wait until the end of the year. But I'm leaning towards RIGHT NOW!

    Clearly, you and I have such similar taste! Rites of Passage and The Winner's Curse! Yesss! Two of my favorites of the year. :) Rae Carson's The Bitter Kingdom also topped my list of BEST SERIES ENDER. No other series conclusion impressed me like this one did!

    My copy of Since You've Been Gone should be getting here soon! I look forward to reading it when the weather warms up. I really want to check out Open Road Summer and Alienated too! I don't believe your recs would steer me wrong!

    YES TO CRESS! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE FLAILING TO COMMENCE OVER FAIREST AND WINTER! We'll have to get an e-mail discussion going for those this year. ;)

    Great answers, girl! Can't wait to check out part 2 of the survey! <3

    Marlene @ The Flyleaf Review

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I filled out this survey too! I loved the questions you added to it and how detailed your answers are. Can't wait to read part 2 :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree a hundred percent about Elisa and Hector. I loved them together so much! That was probably my favorite part of the book series even though I really enjoyed the plot and the world, but Elisa and Hector stole my heart.

    The Winner's Curse was one of my favorite books of 2014 as well. I just loved it so much, especially Kestrel and Arin. They were the best, even better then Elisa and Hector. I also agree that it has such a pretty cover!!

    Happy 2015 reading :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You.are.killing.me. For real, reading all that Harry Potter so quickly! I still have four books left and I'm afraid of what's ahead! But also anxious and really excited! But also... afraid! (But excited. :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. HECTOR. YES. I loved the last two books in Fire & Thorns SO much. An amazing OTP. Also loved The Winner's Curse, Alienated, and Cress. I really need to catch up on Since You've Been Gone!
    Thanks for sharing, love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how Harry Potter dominates this list, and I love that you've finally read the books! It must have been so great to binge read them all, and I'm impressed by how quickly you did it. Hopefully you can maintain that speed somewhat and reach your reading goal for 2015. I agree with some of the other titles you listed as well, particularly We Were Liars - it was one of the most disappointing reads of the year for me. :(

    ReplyDelete