Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Secondary Characters

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
This week's topic makes me nervous. Why? Because I adore secondary characters and while this is a list of the "most memorable" secondary characters, I have a bad memory sometimes. Hopefully, I'll remember them all. In no particular order:

1. Iko from Cinder. The lovable android sidekick to Cinder made me smile whenever she was on the page. I'm really hoping we'll continue to see more of her throughout the series.
Quote: "Prince Kai! Check my fan, I think I'm overheating."

2. Thorne from Scarlet. Cinder's second accomplice in the second book was so wonderful that at one point, I would have been okay with no more Kai. Thankfully, though, Thorne is going to be the love interest to the next main character in Cress!
Quote: A relieved grin filled up Thorne’s face. “We’re having another moment, aren’t we?”

3. Beast from Grave Mercy. Oh, Beast. I love you. I need to read Dark Triumph asap because I hear he's the love interest in that one. I'm absolutely okay that these secondary characters get more of a spotlight in sequels. 
Quote: Just before he pulls away, he whispers in my ear. "Duval said to give you that should I get a chance. It is from him.” 

4. Isaac from The Fault in Our Stars. He's Augustus Waters's one-eyed best friend, becoming one of Hazel's closest friends as well. While all the characters provide humor in some ways, Isaac is a main source of it.
Quote: "Thank you for explaining that my eye cancer isn't going to make me deaf. I feel so fortunate that an intellectual giant like yourself would deign to operate on me!"

5. Kenji from Shatter Me series. KENJI! Love me some Kenji. I wasn't sure about him in the first book, but I completely appreciated him in the sequel. He's witty, sarcastic, and most importantly, tells it how it is and gives Juliette frequent reality checks. He was the biggest motivator for me to keep reading Unravel Me while everyone else was being annoying ahem, Juliette.
Quote: “Yeah, bro.” Kenji puts his utensils down. “You are moody. It’s always ‘Shut up, Kenji.’ ‘Go to sleep, Kenji.’ ‘No one wants to see you naked, Kenji.’ When I know for a fact that there are thousands of people who would love to see me naked—” 

6. Finnick from Catching Fire and Mockingjay. I admit it, I wasn't too sure of him at first because like Katniss, I wasn't going to trust anybody. But we soon see how great he is in the arena and he continues to be a highlight in both books.
Quote: "Why? Do you find this" -- he strikes a ridiculously provocative pose -- "distracting?"

7. Sturmhond from Siege and Storm. Does he count? I think he counts considering that he's not Alina or Mal even though he's a key character in the sequel. Sturmhond was irresistible and maybe it's a good thing I'm not Alina because I would have fallen for him in the first five minutes of meeting him. I love Bardugo's writing and series, but she made everything a whole lot better when she added him in the story.
Quote: "I have so many good qualities," Sturmhond said. "It can be hard to choose.”

8. Basically everyone from Perfect Scoundrels. They're the same characters from the previous Heist Society books, but for whatever reason, they stuck out even more in the last book for me. Gabrielle, the Bagshaws, Simon, and Marcus all provided something great to the book, even if most of them are really minor characters. Of course, Hale will always be my favorite secondary character in this series with Gabrielle close behind.
Quote: "What I mean, dear cousin, is that maybe you want Hale to get out of his family's business because that is the only way to keep him in yours."

9. Genya from Shadow and Bone. It's been a while since I read the first book in the series so honestly, I can't really remember why she stuck out to me. But she did. I remember liking her, wishing she had her own book, and wanting to read more about her. She's important in the second book as well and...well, I can't say divulge further.
Quote: "Do you like the way you look?" Genya asked with what seemed to be genuine curiosity.

10. Roar from Under the Never Sky series. People might love Perry and he is great, don't get me wrong, but I personally loved Roar way more. He's just...perfect. Sensitive, loyal, passionate, determined, witty, kind...I was thrilled when we got to see more of him in the second book.
Quote: Roar's smile widened. "I know. You missed me." 

Honorable mentions: Prim from The Hunger Games series *sob*, Johanna from Catching Fire and Mockingjay, Boris from The Princess Diaries series, Orma from Seraphina, Mr. Bennett from Pride and Prejudice, Mr. Solomon from The Gallagher Girls series, Ro from For Darkness Shows the Stars, Caitlyn from Parallel. 

I realized so many of my favorites are not only guys, but they're the characters that add humor to the whole story without trying too hard. Alright, most of the guy secondary characters and ones that I like to swoon at too. Take notice, authors!

What are some of your favorite secondary characters? 

1 comment:

  1. "Basically everyone from Perfect Scoundrels" YES to that, I love watching the whole team interact. Plus, I LOVE that Iko and Thorne are on your list! Iko's adorable (I love how they brought her back in Scarlet) and I need to read Cress to see more of Thorne! :)

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete