Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Perfect Transport

I should first introduce myself. It's only polite. I'm Sunny and the creator of this blog. If you read my "About Me" page, you'll already know a little about me. Like I say on my Twitter page, I'm tall, an animal-lover, and not very fond of handshakes. I think those are the three basic things you need to know about me. For now. Well, I also love books. Sadly, not a lot of people do. They think it's boring, waste of their time, associate it with school. But do you know why I love them? They're our closest things to time travel, in my opinion.

Books are the perfect transport. You open up a good book and you’re transported to a different world. No matter what the genre, if the author does it right, you’re no longer in your own world. You’re in the character’s home. You’re in a dystopian. You’re in New York or some hick town in Kansas. You’re in 1840 England. You’re at a different planet than Earth.

You can escape reality for a second and imagine a different world. You think like the character, you connect with them, you cry or laugh with them. It doesn't matter, you’re transported.

Not only does it connect you with imaginary dimensions and characters, books connect you with other people. How do books become best-selling? By people recommending and spreading the word about them! You talk about the books and what scenes you like the best. Even books you don’t like, you complain about it with each other.

It’s a great feeling of satisfaction when someone comes back to me and says, “Oh my gosh, I loved [insert book name] so much!” Or even when they just tell me their opinions about a mutual loved or hated book. I like hearing what other people think, but also saying my own suggestions and opinions.

Of course, starting a blog is scarier than talking in person. You just see a blank page with a blinking black line. That’s all you see as your mind races to think of the correct words for what you’re thinking. You don’t want to bore people or have them feel as if they wasted your time. Obviously, you want them to enjoy it.

 Just as books are friends, I hope in this blogosphere, friendships are made as well. 

Tell me: why do you love books? 

5 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to comment on this for a while: I LOVE THIS POST! It's brilliant and would've made me follow you on the spot. :) I absolutely agree, books ARE the perfect transport!

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful post! Whenever I visit a new blog, I always like to go back and read the blogger's very first post. A lot of book blogs simply start with a review, but posts like this one always make my day. I wholeheartedly agree with you: books are the perfect transport. For me, books were like The Neverending Story, an escape from bullying at school. I'd walk off the schoolgrounds with my book or my journal tucked under my arm, and read the lunch hour away, safe from the taunts of my peers. Those are some of the best memories of elementary school and, even though things were much better in junior high, I still kept reading since it had become such an integral part of who I was. Thanks for sharing this great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you absolutely made my day when I saw a notification that someone commented on this. Such a great idea to go back to the first post! I love that you shared that part of you as well, I think books can really affect your mood and your surroundings. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Hey! I read your "Reasons Why I Love Being a Blogger" post, where you mentioned this one. I was curious, so I came and took a look. You know, you started blogging only a couple of days after me! and look what you have achieved :). I love that you linked to this post - most bloggers don't care for their old ones (and the comments under them) that much, as if they were ancient history. Most of the times, if a guest comments under an old post, they don't even acknowledge the comment. But I see you do. So I officially declare you a sweet, great girl, and I hope you'll stay that way! :)

    ReplyDelete