Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - Genre Suggestions

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
Instead of devoting an entire list to a group of people, I decided to split it up by genres since that's more fun. And I showed self-restraint, hurray!

Dystopian devotees

If you like dystopian, you've probably read these already. But hey, if you haven't, or if you're a dystopian doubter instead, here are two fantastic demands suggestions. While I didn't become a huge fan of Divegent, I can talk about The Hunger Games for a long time. No shame.

Sci-Fi supporters

One is a fairytale retelling set in a futuristic China and deals with evil Lunars while the other has two opposite people stranded on a planet together after a Titanic-like incident. I don't see why you wouldn't read either one. 

Fluff fans

I think everybody needs a good fluff book once in a while and there are many fluffy books out there. Whenever I need some silliness though, I pick up Meg Cabot's books, specifically The Princess Diaries. Robin Benway is also a great author to look for, but beware some language in Audrey, Wait! 

Non-fluff, non-issue contemporary seekers

Okay, so you don't want fluff now. But you still want a contemporary, just not an "issue" book. What I loved about both The Naturals and Parallel is that they made me think, giving me enough substance that wouldn't classify them as fluffy, but wasn't bogged down with issues like cancer, addictions, or pregnancies. 

Fantasy freaks

Both of these provide magic elements, great world-building, protagonists you can root for, and swoon-worth love interests. What else are you waiting for? 

Have you read any of the books I suggested? Which genre is your favorite? What would you suggest?

18 comments:

  1. I love your suggestions Sunny. I especially love your fluffy and non-fluff, non-issue contemporary recommendations, I had a lot of fun reading Parallel and Meg Cabot's Princess Diaries series. I've also become a huge fan of fantasy reads too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how your broke out this list! Great picks - some of these I want to check out myself that I haven't already read!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. You picked the exact two books I would have for the dystopian section. They are hands down THE definition on that category. Apparently THESE BROKEN STARS is amazing, as I've been seeing everyone's tour stop over the last couple of days. I wasn't originally interested in it when it was NG, but I'm slowly getting more excited to reading it once it releases. I used to love The Princess Diaries. I only read the first two books but my sister read them all. I still need to read PARALLEL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree. They instantly popped in my mind when I started the list. It really is so you must read it! Please do!

      Delete
  4. Yay for Cinder!!! Love that book! These Broken Stars sounds so good! And the cover is beautiful! Fantasy is probably my favorite genre, with fluff books as a close second! Speaking of more fluffy books, have you read any of Janette Rallison's books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, I hope you get to read it asap! I HAVE. Oh my, I wish I remembered those. Those are basically the definition of fluff!

      Delete
  5. I like what you did with the subject this week and I'm definitely agreeing with Shadow and bone for fantasy & Cinder for sci-fi!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shadow and Bone is so good! I just finished reading Siege and Storm last night and it was awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You pick some great books. I loved Parallel. I suggested Cinder to a 16yr old I know, and she totally resisted because it was 'cyborgs' and sounds too science fiction. I had to bribe her to try it! And now she is looking forward to Cress more than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your "non-fluff, non-issue" recommendations because I adore that kind of book. It's one thing to make readers think by addressing an issue directly, but it takes different tactics to provoke thought in a lighter way. Not that either kind of book is better than the other—they are just different. I will be taking both of your recommendations for that category ASAP. Also, props to you for your alliterated section titles. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo! I'm glad you will because I personally loved them. Ha! I knew you would appreciate that ;)

      Delete
  9. I need to read more fantasy, but that is a harder genre for me to read then others. Sometimes my brain is like, 'that is so fake.' and I don't like it as much as if it were 'real' for some weird reason. But I do own those fantasy novels you listed. So, one day I will over come this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that. I wasn't a fantasy fan before blogging because I considered it in sci-fi terms, that it would be too hard to follow. So glad I changed my mind on that and saw the light!

      Delete
  10. such a fantastic list! I agree with all the books I've read. I am so overdue to read Tamora Pierce.

    ReplyDelete