Saturday, February 14, 2015

Valentine's Day Tips (for the bookish soul)

I couldn't resist the creepy gif.
Happy Valentine's Day! If you find yourself alone today and wanting something to do or feeling like you have to "celebrate" somehow, I give you the the following recommendations. Because February 14th is a great excuse to do a lot of things.

Binge on books with romantic elements. 
Recommendations include: 
  • The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot - for the one who likes a coming-of-age story and 10 books to read
  • Graceling by Kristin Cashore for the one who likes action, girl power, and morals throughout
  • Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi - for the one who likes great platonic friendships as well
  • Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge- for the one who likes fairy-tales
  • If I Stay by Gayle Forman - for the one who likes to cry
  • Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock - for the one who likes contemporary and tomboys
  • Rites of Passage by Joy N. Hensley - for the one who likes angst (and action!) 
  • Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern - for the one who likes it unconventional 
  • Open Road Summer by Emery Lord - for the one who likes to have fun
  • These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner - for the one who likes sci-fi craziness
Go out with the [single] girls.
Basically, do anything and go anywhere. Movies, FOOD, bowling, FOOD, shopping, FOOD...whatever you all like doing. Eating is really fun though.

Way back in middle school (I think), a group of us went over to our friend's house. She was the friend who had everything. You know, the one who had the big house and lots of cool ideas. I don't remember all that we did, but I do remember the best strawberry cake and a trampoline was involved. I might be in college, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.


Binge on YOUR favorite books.
If I'm in a funk or a picky type of mood, I'll reread a favorite of mine. So if you're feeling down (or just bored), go read an oldie (or several, hence the binging). 

Be stereotypical.
Tonight I will actually be at a friend's house watching romantic movies and eating Ben & Jerry's (while using her washer and dryer to do my laundry). It's always joked that people who are alone will be in a puddle of tears while gorging on ice cream. I actually like being alone if this is the plan, minus the tears. YAY ICE CREAM! 


But really, if you're sad that you're "alone" on this "holiday," I give you the following reminder:
  1. You're not alone. You most likely have family and friends. You have billions of strangers around the world to interact with. You have many, many friends to meet in your books. You're not alone. 
  2. Valentine's Day is a holiday observed on February 14th, honoring one or more Christian martyrs (saints) named Valentinus. It was first associated with romantic love in the early 19th century England. People sent handwritten greeting cards, which we all know has now evolved into gifts and more. But more importantly, it's a day to spend time and appreciate one another. I choose to believe that while it's heavily focused on romantic love, we should celebrate other kinds of love as well. 

Now go read your books or go out with your significant other. And even if you're not single today, you should still treat yourself to some ice cream and a great book. 

What are you doing for Valentine's Day?

5 comments:

  1. I like your idea, Summer! Who says you need tears to go with your ice cream? Just enjoy the ice cream and watch movies that make you happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just listen to Taylor Swift's New Romantics :) (Hint hint: the last line of the chorus is, "The best people in life are free.")

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to read a good book, watch lots of Hallmark movies, and listen to Taylor Swift on Valentine's day. And eat chocolate of course (without tears)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm alone, it's quiet, I can read: I am happy. :) But the Ben & Jerry's sounds like an excellent addition. Enjoy the ice cream!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I think if I weren't married I'd go for the books and ice cream on Valentine's Day. Heck, that sounds like a good idea even now!

    ReplyDelete